Liverpool could be poised to make a £20million offer for Italy and Lazio star Antonio Candreva, after the winger admitted that he is open to a move to get himself Champions League football.
A report in the Daily Express details that the Serie A star, who was undeniably brilliant against England in his nation’s World Cup opener on Saturday, could become the latest player to sign on at Anfield as Brendan Rodgers looks to ensure that his squad is ready for the rigours of playing in Europe’s premier competition. The Reds will embark on their first Champions League adventure since 2010 following their second-placed finish domestically last season, but it’s thought that the current side needs bolstering with new faces if it is to be able to effectively compete on all fronts.
As such ex-Bayer Leverkusen man Emre Can has been added to the fold, as has former Southampton striker Rickie Lambert, and Candreva could well be the next name to adorn the list. Said to be valued at £20million the wide-man would be a fine addition to an already impressive attacking unit, and the performance he put it at the weekend - where he repeatedly tormented Leighton Baines - will have most certainly got the attention of the Anfield faithful.
What’s more Liverpool’s hopes of landing the 27-year-old have been given a boost, as Candreva himself has admitted that he harbours a strong desire to play Champions League football. Though with Lazio having only managed a ninth placed finish in Italy last term he won’t be able to do that at the Stadio Olimpico, a move to Merseyside could give him precisely what he’s after.
“A player's ambitions are to do good things and to play at the best clubs and to play in the Champions League,” Candreva told reporters.
"I hope to play a good World Cup, then I'll be happy about what will happen."
Capable of playing on either flank, the Lazio star would provide fierce competition for the likes of Raheem Sterling and Philipe Coutinho for the roles behind the frontmen. Though both enjoyed great seasons under Rodgers last year the purchase of another top talent would surely only serve to increase their work ethic in a bid to retain their spots.
It remains to be seen how Liverpool fans will react to the news that the club are targeting yet more attacking players, despite the fact that they rarely faltered in front of goal last season. A question many will likely pose is why moves for defensive-minded assets haven’t been made a priority. The Reds back-line was shaky at times last term, and in truth it would appear that Rodgers has yet to settle on a favoured back four that he deems capable of shutting out the very best of opposition.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms