Hamburg Director of Sports, Oliver Kreuzer believes that star midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu needs all the help he can get after the he was given a sick note for the next four weeks.
It is believed that the midfielder was declared as mentally sick by a specialist in Heidelberg after he failed to report to pre-season training.
Calhanoglu, who is contracted at the Imtech Arena outfit until 2018 is understood to be trying to force through a move to fellow Bundesliga rivals, Bayer Leverkusen, but his parent club are unwilling to sell.
The Turkish international has already told Hamburg his desire to move to Bayer Leverkusen, who have offered him acceptable terms.
However, his aim to switch alliances has angered a large majority of Hamburg fans who influenced the 20-year-old’s decision not to turn up to training on Wednesday after seeing his Facebook page flooded with insults and threats.
The club have tried to contact Calhanoglu who is currently residing with his family in Mannheim but so far have been unsuccessful.
Despite an apparent stone wall separating the club from their prize asset, Kreuzer is determined to get the 20-year-old the best help money can buy in Hamburg.
He said: “We have tried to make contact via telephone. However, we have been unable to do this. We are going to try to get Hakan to see a neurologist in Hamburg.”
The 48-year-old who was born in the same town as Calhanoglu is upset by the reaction of Hamburg fans directed at the youngster, who has since gone into a hiding.
Despite Calhanoglu doing everything he can to force through a move, Kreuzer has shown sympathy and has reiterated that the 20-year-old is not out to harm anyone.
He said: “The situation is tragic. I do not think that this is a tactical manoeuvre. I have known Hakan for a long time. He’s a good kid, with a great character.”
Despite Kreuzer and the Hamburg board visibly ruffled by Calhanoglu’s reactions, his agent, Bektas Demirtas is hopeful that everything will be back to normal in the not so distant future.
He said: “I hope that we are soon able to have an amicable solution that that after his recovery, Hakan is able to fully concentrate on his football.”
Although the 20-year-old is not doing himself any favours by ignoring calls and contact from his employers, his agent is confident that he will be able to fix the severed ties with newly appointed club chairman, Dietmar Beiersdorfer.
He said: “I am sure that we will be able to find a mutually acceptable solution with Beiersdorfer.”
However, for the time being it seems that Calhanoglu is unlikely to move to Bayer Leverkusen with Beiersdorfer the club’s CEO desperate to keep him for the new Bundesliga season.
It is also understood that fellow Bundesliga rivals, Bayern Munich and Premier League sides Liverpool and Arsenal are monitoring the situation, with both sides keen to add fire power to their midfield area.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms