Costa Rica vs Greece
World Cup second round
Saturday 29th June, 2100 BST, Recife
Two of the tournament's surprise packages come together in the second round of the World Cup. Chris Ellis takes a look at where the game is likely to be decided.
Road to the Second Round
Costa Rica took Group D by storm winning their opening two games. An opening 3-1 victory over Uruguay was followed by 1-0 defeat of Italy before a 0-0 draw with England secured top spot and saw Costa Rica through to their second round undefeated having only conceded one goal.
Greece came through an evenly matched Group C despite suffering a heavy 3-0 defeat at the hands of Colombia in their opening game.
A 0-0 draw with Japan left qualification for the second round looking unlikely for the Euro 2004 winners and they looked set for the exit door before Georgios Samaras last minute penalty secured a 2-1 win over the Ivory Coast and a place in the knockout stages of the World Cup for the first time in Greece’s history.
The two sides have never previously met in any competition.
15 Díaz Campbell
17 Tejeda Valverde
Match facts from Opta
• Greece have reached the knockout stages of the World Cup whilst Costa Rica will be appearing for the second time.
• Greece’s have recorded seven wins at major tournaments but have never managed a win by more than one clear goal.
• Greece have only won two of their nine World Cup games and have only ever scored in those two games.
• Costa Rica are yet to concede open play in the tournament.
• Georgios Samaras’ penalty against Ivory Coast was his first goal in 1478 minutes for Greece.
• Joel Campbell has been involved in two of Costa Rica’s four goals at this World Cup.
This certainly looks to be a tight game on paper with Costa Rica favourites to progress after their impressive performance in the group stage. However, Greece will be riding on the crest of a wave following their dramatic win over Ivory Coast and will be looking to cause another upset.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.