Alexandre Lacazette’s impressive season for Lyon has caught the eye of Liverpool and Newcastle who are both set to fight it out for the 23-year-old, reports the Daily Mirror.
Newcastle are currently said to be slight favourites with the crop of French internationals already in their ranks working in the favour. However, Liverpool are hopeful of signing the Lyon forward, especially if Luis Suarez leaves the club this summer.
Despite receiving a four month ban this week, interest is still high in the Uruguayan and Lacazette is seen as an adequate replacement should the Premier League’s top scorer leave Anfield.
Lacazette scored 22 goals for Lyon last year in his best season since he came through the academy in 2010. The France international has two caps for the national team as well as 11 caps for the under-21 side. A transfer fee of £10 million could see the Frenchman move across the channel.
Dani Alves' proposed move to PSG has fallen through after French champions have decided against pursuing the Brazilian defender’s signature, reports Eurosport.
A deal between Barcelona that included PSG defender Marquinhos had been rejected earlier in the month, with PSG looking to hold onto the youngster who they signed last year from Roma.
Despite only having a year left on his current contract at Barcelona, PSG have decided that his wage demands as well as the Brazilian’s age don’t make the transfer worth continuing with. It is now believed that the French champions are more likely to be interested in signing AC Milan’s Ignazio Abate.
The 27-year-old has been in Brazil with the Italian squad who failed to get out of Group D, along with England. Abate has struggled to hold a first team place in Milan and is seen by PSG as a more preferable option to current right backs Gregory van der Wiel and Christophe Jallet.
RC Lens promotion in doubt
RC Lens promotion to Ligue 1 has been put on hold after their budget for the new season failed to meet the financial criteria.
Owner Hafiz Mammadov, who recently became owner of Sheffield Wednesday as well as owning FC Baku of Azerbaijan, has said that a further €10 million are being transferred to the French team from Azerbaijan in the near future.
It is expected that Lens will appeal the decision, which will be heard at the start of July, either the 3rd or the 9th. Lens finished second in Ligue 2 last season to secure their promotion to the top flight after being relegated in 2011.