Derry City squandered their chances of a memorable victory last Friday, as Richard Towell equalised for Dundalk with only moments left in the Premier Division game.

The opening minutes of the match were an evenly contested affair, which saw both sides looking for a goal to break the deadlock.

As the game approached the 14th minute Dundalk's Daryl Horgan tried to put the away side into the lead, but his speculative effort from 20 yards out went over the Derry City net.

Dundalk continued to pile the pressure on the “Candystripe” defence with a free kick crossed into the Derry box on the 20th minute but Derry was able to deal and clear the danger that Dundalk possessed.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Rory Patterson found the back of the Dundalk net after lobbing the keeper but the close call was ruled out for offside by the linesman.

Both sides were evenly matched in the first half but it was the visitors who took the lead on the 44 minute, courtesy of Kurtis Byrne.

Derry City responded to this by going on the attack and levelled moments later as the ball fell to Barry McNamee and his low drive found the back of the Dundalk net.

Derry came out the stronger side in the second half and deservedly took the lead on the 51st minute as Michael Duffy's long-range effort flew into the top corner, to the delight of the Derry fans.

Dundalk pressed to find an equaliser and it was former Derry City striker Mark Griffin who came closest as he hit the bar for the visitors.

Derry City was reduced to ten men as captain Cliff Byrne was sent off for an elbowing offence 70 minutes into the game. This sending off sparked protests from the Derry players.

Derry City striker Rory Patterson was substituted near the end for Nathan Boyle. The young striker, Boyle looked lively and tried to create chances for the “Candystripes” late on.

Derry City looked to be taking all three points from the match against high-flying Dundalk, going added time.

Derry City was defending well against the Dundalk attack stopping numerous Dundalk advances in the final minutes.

But disaster struck after a Dundalk attack late into added time seen Richard Towell score after his deflected effort found the back of the City goal, sparking wild celebrations from the away supporters.

The match has to be seen as a point gained for Derry City against the league leaders but the home fans in the end were left feeling disappointed and pondering what they could have come away with.

The game will give fans renewed hope going into the Europa League tie against Aberystwyth Town on Thursday that Derry City this season could possibly embark on another "European Adventure".

Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here:

DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: