There has been yet another twist in the drug test scandal of Chael Sonnen after it was revealed that he had tested positive for HGH and EPO on a second test.
It had been initially announced that Sonnen had failed the test due to the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG), which was prescribed to him to counteract the effects of Testosterone Replacement Therapy (TRT) withdrawal.
But on Saturday night, it was revealed that he tested positive for human growth hormone (HGH) and recombinant human erythropoietin (EPO), the same drugs often used in cycling.
"Yes, the Commission is aware of other prescribed medications I was taking and I will not challenge their allegations. I will cooperate with the Commission and look forward to having a dialogue about how fighters who transition off TRT can avoid violating any rules."
However, the chairman of the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), Francisco Aguilar said that the new information will be a part of Sonnen's case, which will be heard on the 23rd July.
Sonnen currently has a temporary suspension from the commission, however, that was just for the presence of hCG. Although he has retired from MMA, he's still likely to get a long term ban, which would rule out hopes of a return.
The news has once again shocked the MMA world and looks as if the UFC will be under pressure to create and enforce a stricter and wider drugs testing platform for their organisation.
There's also the fact that Sonnen has spent a lot of time in recent years bashing drugs cheats and yet he may be one of the biggest cheats of all time, and if not for a good comeback from Anderson Silva and Jon Jones finishing him before the referee noticed his broken toes, he could be a UFC Champion.
Sonnen once said of Lance Armstrong:
"Take Lance Armstrong. Lance Armstrong did a number of things and he gave himself cancer. He cheated, he did drugs, and he gave himself cancer. Well, instead of saying ‘Hey listen, I cheated and gave myself cancer, don't be like me.'
"He actually made himself the victim and then went out and profited something like $15 million dollars from this ‘Hey, poor me, let's find a cure for cancer' campaign instead of just coming clean and saying, ‘Look, here's what I did, I screwed myself up, and I hope people learn from my mistakes.' You just watch these guys and can't help but think, God, what a fraud."
The backlash has been strong and fierce and the UFC has come out and said that it will support any decision made by the commission.
Sonnen is due to headline the grappling-only event, Metamoris 4 in August, and although the competition isn't regulated, whether he pulls out or not hasn't been made clear yet.
The news will be music to the ears of Wanderlei Silva, who for months had several shots taken at him by Sonnen and although Silva dodged a drugs test himself, it was Sonnen acting like an angel.
The Brazilian fighter was due to face Sonnen at UFC 175 and with both fighters failing, that's been scrapped and Vitor Belfort, who had replaced Silva initially.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: http://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.