AC Milan have confirmed that they are in the process of negotiating a transfer that would see Brazilian striker Robinho move to soon-to-be Major League Soccer side Orlando City SC.
Negotiations have Begun
Adriano Galliani, CEO of the Rossoneri, told media at a press conference on Friday that the two sides were in discussions. Robinho has repeatedly been linked with 2015 expansion club Orlando in recent months, and Galliani gave the closest thing to official confirmation that has yet been made public.
"Robinho wants to go to the American MLS,” Galliani said at an event introducing new Milan signings Michelangelo Albertazzi, Michael Agazzi, Jeremy Menez and Alex, which was transcribed and posted on the club's website.
Robinho is currently under contract with the Italian giants until June 2016, which would suggest that a transfer fee will be required to pry him loose from the Rossoneri.
Milan did consent to a mutual termination of Kaka's contract earlier this month, however, in order for the midfielder to join OCSC as the Lions' first-ever Designated Player. For now at least, Galliani left no doubt about his willingness to play hardball on Robinho's case.
“The relationship with Robinho remains excellent, though, and it is just one of the many negotiations that are ongoing,” he noted. “The negotiations with Orlando have begun. They want Robinho, but we’re not close to concluding the deal," Galliani added.
Should Robinho succeed, he will team up with former AC Milan team-mate and fellow Brazilian Kaka. The Brazilian attacking midfielder Kaka has completed his return to Milan after four unhappy years at Real Madrid, Kaka has also left the Italian giants to move to MLS. The 32-year-old midfielder had only returned to the San Siro last summer after four years at Real Madrid.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms