Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho wants to keep both Petr Cech and Thibaut Courtois at Stamford Bridge next season - even though the Portuguese coach plans to use the latter as his first-choice goalkeeper.
According to the Daily Mail, Courtois is the firm favourite to start in the Blues' Premier League opener against newly-promoted Burnley on August 18, leaving Cech reduced the role of substitute.
But Mourinho insists that having both world-class keepers at Stamford Bridge at the same time will only benefit the club.
"My situation for the season is fantastic," Mourinho told reporters. "To have Cech and Courtois, the best young goalkeeper in the world and one of the top three or five experienced keepers, for me and Chelsea it’s perfect.
"There’s no story. One will play and Chelsea will be in safe hands for good because both are very good players."
Mourinho prepared to upset Cech
Mourinho was then asked whether keeping both goalkeepers at the club could cause upset - but, judging by his response, that doesn't appear to concern the Blues' manager.
"But the Chelsea supporters will be happy and they’re more important than players," he continued. "If supporters have Cech or Courtois they will be happy because they know we’re in safe hands.
"The window is the window but I’m so happy with the situation. For a coach the problem is when you don’t have good players. Then we’re in trouble.
"We have to make decisions but we’re paid to make them and I’m really happy with the situation."
Courtois poised to become Chelsea's No. 1
That Courtois has refused to kick up a fuss since being told to return to Chelsea, following three consecutive season-long loan spells with Atletico Madrid, suggests Mourinho has told the gifted Belgium international that he will be the west London outfit's new first-choice goalkeeper.
Cech was expected to miss the opening weeks of the season after undergoing shoulder surgery - but the 32-year-old has made a swift recovery and appeared in Chelsea's pre-season friendly against RZ Pellets WAC on Wednesday. This leaves Mourinho with a dilemma; however, it seems the Portuguese has already made his decision.
Watch: Courtois in action
Cech remains one of the best
There has been much speculation suggesting Cech will leave Stamford Bridge this summer, ever since it was reported that Mourinho wanted Courtois back at the club.
Earlier this month the player's agent, Viktor Kolar, revealed that French giants Paris Saint-Germain and AS Monaco are interested. He also threatened to get in contact with Real Madrid and Barcelona if Mourinho told his client to find a new club this summer.
There would be no shortage of suitors if Cech is made available for transfer. The Czech Republic international was named in the Premier League's PFA Team of the Year last season and remains one of Europe's most revered keepers.
But, if he fails to leave Stamford Bridge before the summer transfer window closes on September 2, there's a very good chance that Cech will spend almost the entire first half of the 2014/15 campaign watching on from the substitutes' bench.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms