Manchester United prepared to sell Javier Hernandez

Published 3 Comments

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal will allow striker Javier Hernandez to leave Old Trafford this summer if the club receives an offer worth around £15 million. The Mexico international has recently been linked with a move to La Liga champions Atletico Madrid, who are also keen to secure a deal for Arsenal midfielder Santi Cazorla.

According to the Express, Atletico boss Diego Simeone is keen to wrap up a £30 million deal for the Premier League duo, who are both reportedly unhappy at their respective clubs.

Related links

Javier Hernandez could join Atletico Madrid
Louis van Gaal tried to freeze out Javier Hernandez
Louis van Gaal keen to axe seven players

Hernandez frozen out by Van Gaal?

Spanish newspaper Marca reported on Thursday that Van Gaal had attempted to stop Hernandez from joining United’s pre-season tour of the US in an effort to force him out of the club.

However, the Mexican joined up with the rest of his teammates earlier this week and is expected to play some part in Saturday’s International Challenge Cup fixture against AS Roma.

It could be one of the final chances that the 26-year-old has to impress the veteran Dutch coach, with first-choice striker Robin van Persie set to return to the fold following his World Cup exploits with the Netherlands in Brazil.

Hernandez faces more frustration

But, even if Hernandez produces an impressive display against the Serie A giants in Denver this weekend, Van Persie will return to take his place as United’s most-advanced forward, regardless. It seems the best the Mexican can hope for in the early stages of the 2014/15 campaign is a place on the substitutes’ bench.

Van Gaal was asked by reporters whether Hernandez had a future at Old Trafford on Tuesday - but his response would have done little to ease the player’s concerns.

"I will have to see how he plays," Van Gaal told reporters. "I have only seen him under another coach so far. He has arrived today and now I can see him play in a game. Then I can talk about him."

Hernandez endured an unhappy 2013/14 campaign under Van Gaal’s predecessor David Moyes. He scored just nine goals in 35 (mostly substitute) appearances, and posted a number of cryptic social messages indicating his discontent.

Mexico boss Miguel Herrera also told reporters, back in February, that the striker was deeply unhappy with his lack of playing time at Old Trafford.

Watch: Hernandez - Man United's super sub

Where next for Hernandez?

Atletico certainly have the funds to finance a deal for Hernandez after offloading Diego Costa and Filipe Luis to Chelsea for substantial fees.

However, the Madrid-based outfit face stiff competition from Inter Milan and Valencia. Arsenal and Tottenham have also been linked with the live-wire goal poacher in recent weeks.

Hernandez may join the club who can offer him the most playing time.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

La Liga
Tottenham Hotspur
Serie A
Premier League
Javier Hernandez
Manchester United

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again