Calum Chambers finalised his move to Arsenal on Monday afternoon, and with that another part of Southampton's production line waved goodbye.
Many felt that this would be the perfect opportunity to issue a strong open statement to the fans of the club, and potential suitors of their players.
What they got, however, was a message that reassured nobody.
Les Reed's statement following the confirmation of Chambers' departure was filled with already hollow words confirming that the club's youngsters would not be sold on.
As well as the opportunity to mention that Chambers had told the club he did not see his future with them, Reed was also asked to issue a statement to the loyal fans of the club who are becoming disillusioned with the continuous outgoings.
The statement those fans received though via the club's official website, confirmed that the top youngsters at the club will not be sold on, and that they were committed to keeping talents like Harrison Reed and James-Ward Prowse in red and white.
“Our position remains unchanged in that we are determined to keep our best young players at the club, as is evidenced by the decision to award Harrison Reed a new long-term contract last week, adding to the list of committed young professionals like James Ward-Prowse, Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull, Matt Targett, Sam McQueen and others who have seen plenty of first-team activity recently." he said.
The first part of that sentence is the crucial one that causes much of the upset, where Reed confirms that the club are determined to keep their best young players at the club, despite selling Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw and Chambers this summer.
With three of Southampton's best products all moving on this summer, the comments made almost seeks to add salt into the wounds rather than giving the supporters much to hold on to.
It was also Reed that confirmed earlier this summer that there would be no fire sale and that they intended to keep the current squad together and add to it to improve on last season's finish.
He said: "Our intention is to keep this very good team together and build on it by bringing new players to improve on that."
"We will tend to develop a squad that's capable of not just maintaining the position we're in but improving next season." he confirmed.
Again seemingly hollow promises from the club who then proceeded to sell Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Dejan Lovren and most recently Chambers.
To divert the fans ill-feeling, the best thing the Southampton board can do is to back manager Ronald Koeman and give him all of the money they have raked in as they have promised.
If the Saints were to bring in four or five quality reinforcements, they would still be able to challenge for the top 10 and maybe their fans will come around to see that the sums offered could not be turned down, but that all of the money was reinvested in the right way.
If they fail to strengthen though, they could be in for a relegation battle next season, something that the fans could not have envisaged after finishing 8th in the previous campaign.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms