Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Real Madrid have all been dealt a blow in their alleged pursuit of Radamel Falcao after the Colombian striker insisted he is paying no attention to rumours regarding his future and is focusing instead on his continued comeback for AS Monaco.
The Daily Express reports how the 28-year-old hitman has been the subject of intense transfer speculation, despite spending the past seven months sidelined by the cruciate ligament injury he suffered in a Coupe de France match against Monts d'Or Azergues in January.
Falcao missed the World Cup in Brazil this summer, but stepped up his recovery and made a playing comeback in the Emirates Cup this weekend, making a 20-minute cameo as a second-half substitute against Valencia at the Emirates Stadium on Saturday.
His match-winning goal against Arsenal to help Monaco lift the pre-season trophy on Sunday will have offered encouragement to the player's extensive list of suitors, with Real Madrid the most frequently mentioned club believed to be considering a bid for the €40 million-rated star's signature.
Real Madrid interest
Carlo Ancelotti has already moved to bring Falcao's former Monaco team-mate and international compatriot James Rodriguez to the Santiago Bernabeu, and could return to the Principality to formalise another big-money deal before the transfer window closes.
However, Los Blancos could face stiff competition for a player that has hardly kicked a ball in 2014, with Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal also credited with an interest in bringing the former Atletico Madrid man to Old Trafford.
Jose Mourinho is another confirmed admirer of Falcao's talent, and continues to be linked with a move for the South American striker, even after securing the signature of his successor at the Vicente Calderon, bringing Diego Costa to Stamford Bridge in a reported £32 million deal.
Like Chelsea, Liverpool has also been mooted as a potential destination for the nearly fit-again talisman, as Brendan Rodgers continues his search for a replacement for Luis Suarez, who left Anfield for Barcelona in a club-record £75 million deal this summer.
Manchester City interest
Meanwhile, Manchester City are never very far away when it comes to negotiations for world-class talent, and Manuel Pellegrini is said to be keen on the player, despite his wealth of attacking options at the Etihad Stadium.
In Sergio Aguero, Edin Dzeko and Alvaro Negredo, the Citizens already have one of the most fearsome forward lines in the Premier League, and the acquisition of Falcao would almost certainly make the reigning champions favourites for the domestic title again.
But, any hopes that the interested parties might have held of luring the striker to their respective clubs have suffered a significant setback following comments from the player in question regarding his future.
Emirates Cup goal
"I am only focused on the sporting project of my team," he said. "I am not thinking about any team other than Monaco so far.
"I just wanted to be back on the pitch and I am happy to have been able to do it."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms