Football

Liverpool yet to agree Alberto Moreno deal confirms Jose Castro

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Sevilla president Jose Castro has confirmed his club are in talks with Liverpool over Alberto Moreno but said a deal is nowhere near being agreed.

Brendan Rodgers has already spent around £90 million this season but a new left-back has evaded him so far. Moreno has been Liverpool's top target since the start of the summer and reports suggested a deal would be agreed in the present future.

A fee of £16 million was rumoured to be agreed last week with Moreno expected on Merseyside for a medical towards the weekend. However, the 22-year-old never arrived and Castro has explained why.

No deal yet

"There have been negotiations [for Moreno], eight or 10 days ago, but there has been no agreement and nor is there today," Castro told the club's official website on Monday.

"If Liverpool's offer is suitable he will leave. If not, he'll stay and nothing will happen, absolutely nothing. We'll be at ease."

Plane to Spain

It was in fact 10 days ago that Sky Sports reported that Liverpool's chief executive Ian Ayre flew to Spain with the intention of coming back with Javier Manquillo and Moreno in tow. Manquillo has since agreed to join Liverpool in a two year loan deal but Moreno remains very much a Sevilla player.

Related articles

Alberto Moreno agrees Liverpool contract
Liverpool can sign Moreno says Castro
Liverpool close to signing Moreno & Manquillo

Until a deal for Moreno is agreed the left-back slot remains a massive concern for Liverpool. Jon Flanagan was forced to fill in a number of times last season to cover for Jose Enrique.

The Spaniard has failed to convince Rodgers of his ability or his fitness and doesn't feature in the first team plans. Aly Cissokho also failed to solve the problem during his season-long loan spell from Valencia and didn't earn a permanent transfer to the club.

Spending spree

If Moreno did join it would take Liverpool's spending above £100 million for the summer as Rodgers looks to compensate for the loss of Luis Suarez. Liverpool have already welcomed seven signings to Anfield in the form of Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Divick Origi, Lazar Markovic, Emre Can and the aforementioned Manquillo.

Concerns remain for Liverpool's strikeforce, however, with the Anfield faithful hoping to see some major investment in the front line before the transfer window closes. Only Lambert has been brought in so far with Daniel Sturridge expected to take a bigger role within the team next term.

Moreno is unlikely to be a deal to inspire parties on the streets of Liverpool, but their current options at full-back give cause for concern. 

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
La Liga
Premier League
Liverpool
Football

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again