Stuart Broad revealed that he would be going under the knife during the third Test against India in Southampton.
It was also announced that a specialist from Sweden flew down to examine Broad's knee following the conclusion of England's convincing 3-1 win over India.
Four month layoff
Broad is expected to be out of action for approximately four months, which is why he wasn't named in England's ODI squad for their upcoming five-match series against India.
It has also been reported that Broad is likely to miss England's limited overs tour of Sri Lanka in November, which means that he is set to return during the ODI tri-series against Australia and India in January. That series comes just under a month before the 2015 World Cup gets underway.
"The ECB medical team confirmed that England pace bowler Stuart Broad is to have surgery on his right knee on Thursday 4 September," an England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) statement said. "A rehabilitation and recovery programme will be determined following the operation."
Broad has been bogged down by the tendonitis in his knee numerous times over the past year. But, there are a number of instances when it has caused him immense pain.
During England's limited overs tour of the West Indies earlier this year, Broad had to be sidelined for a number of matches due to his knee problem. Also, during the early parts of the recently concluded Test series against India, many people thought Broad would not be able to play all five Tests since they believed that he would break down or aggravate the injury even more.
However, Broad proved all those people wrong as he went on to take 19 wickets in the series at an impressive average of 19. In fact, he even recorded figures of 6-25 in India's first innings during the fourth Test at Old Trafford.
But, Broad suffered a major scare during England's first innings in the fourth Test as he was struck on the nose by a bouncer from Varun Aaron.
Bleeding profusely, Broad was rushed to hospital where he underwent numerous scans, which revealed that his nose had been fractured. However, despite having a fractured nose, specialists said that the 28-year-old would not require any surgery.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms