How does getting paid to write about Kevin Durant sound? OK, maybe you're a LeBron James fan. Or an NFL nut. Or an MLB junkie.
Well, GiveMeSport is hiring and we want four writers to cover US sports for our recently launched US edition in our new office in the United States. We need knowledgeable, passionate US-based sports fans to write about the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB - and even the MLS, UFC and college sports.
If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, then get in touch.
GiveMeSport is growing fast with 36 million global visits to the website in August, but we want to give our users more of the stuff they want to read about - so that means more exclusive interviews, up-to-date features, viral videos and opinion articles on the day's biggest talking points.
We love to prompt thought-provoking debate, and much of our content focusses on our unique multi-page feature and opinion long-form articles that you can't find elsewhere.
So, who are we looking for? Well, we need between two and four new starters, preferably recent university graduates. A Journalism based degree is advantageous, but we're open-minded at GiveMeSport, so will consider all applicants.
Our New-York based office is in mid-town Manhattan, so you must live within commuting distance or be willing to relocate to the Big Apple.
Here's the full job specification:-
Working from desks in our Manhattan office, the applicant will be expected to cover all major sporting events through a normal working day - 9am-5:30pm EST - with a specific focus on the US market.
The prospective candidate will need a detailed understanding of the major US sports - NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL - and a good knowledge of key US sports terminology.
Applicants will need to be available for an October/November start date and be able to commute to our New York City office.
Along with the above, potential applicants will also have:
- A formal degree (preferred: Sports journalism related) but all will be considered
- Basic knowledge of a wide variety of sports – with specific interest in those US-based
- A portfolio of work including online/paper articles & interviews
- Knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook & Twitter, and how digital publishers can leverage them to their advantage
- Knowledge of successful digital publishers in the sports content market
- An existing understanding of Google Analytics & SEO
The applicant will also be expected to:
- Source and write a high volume of original news content on a daily basis
- Produce concise and accurate copy according to the website’s house style and to tight deadlines
- Apply, attend and cover major US sporting events in the New York metropolitan area
- Be flexible regarding weekend work on a rota basis
- Meet individual and team targets based on a variety of Key Performance Indicators dictated by data from Google Analytics
If this sounds like something you would be interested in, please send an email to email@example.com with your CV, a cover letter and any links to previously published work attached.