William Carvalho has categorically denied that he's unhappy at Sporting Lisbon after failing to secure a move to the Premier League at the end of the summer transfer window.
The Portugal international was strongly linked with a move to Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal but ended up staying at the Estádio José Alvalade.
Carvalho not unhappy at Sporting
Carvalho has failed to shine at the start of the 2014/15 campaign, but insists his below-pair displays are not the result of him feeling unhappy after failing to secure a transfer away from Portugal.
"I can do more. I know I haven't been on my best this season, but it will turn around. Hopefully vs Porto on Friday," Carvalho told Sporting's club paper. "Nobody have ever heard me said that I wanted to leave or that I'm unhappy at Sporting. I've always been satisfied here."
"People who think my bad start to the season has anything to do with me being upset, have never been more wrong."
Arsenal tabled bid
It was reported last month that Arsenal had tabled a £20 million offer for the 22-year-old central midfielder, but were told in no uncertain terms to up their offer.
Sporting were unwilling to sell for anything less than £28 million, but none of the interested clubs stumped up the required cash to secure his services.
Man United had deal in place
Back in March, it was reported that Manchester United had triggered the player's release clause with a £37 million bid. However, the deal failed to materialise following the dismissal of David Moyes, whose scouts spent most of last season running the rule over the powerful midfield ace.
Louis van Gaal later resurrected United's interest in Carvalho, who was also linked with a move to Real Madrid this summer, but was not prepared to meet Sporting's £28 million asking price.
Furthermore, it seems the United boss was preoccupied with securing the services of Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal, who ended up staying in Turin despite months of intense speculation surrounding his future.
Chelsea rumours denied
Chelsea were believed to have tabled a £35 million offer for Carvalho in the final days of the summer transfer window, but these reports were categorically denied by Sporting.
Whether Jose Mourinho, Arsene Wenger or Van Gaal will go back for Carvalho in January is currently unclear. But Sporting may be more open to negotiations if his performances fail to improve between now and the New Year.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms