This is according to the Express, who claim that Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes Brazil international Alves will prove useful in matches against opponents who play for a draw because of his attacking qualities.
Alves plans to quit Barcelona
The 31-year-old, who joined Barcelona in a £23 million deal from Sevilla in 2008 and has since won a host of major trophies, told reporters earlier this week of his plans to quit the Camp Nou at the end of the season, when his contract expires, in order to join a Premier League club.
"I am moving to England next year,” he told O Globo. "I am going to play in the cradle of football. This will be my last year at Barcelona."
Several Premier League clubs keen
Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool have all been linked with the energetic full-back - who is reportedly demanding a £96,000-a-week contract from his next employers - but it’s Chelsea who look set to strike a deal for the South American star.
Mourinho will reportedly offer Alves an 18-month deal - and offer him the chance to battle it out with Branislav Ivanovic for the right-back spot at Stamford Bridge.
A defender of immense class and experience, Alves has amassed 79 caps for the Brazilian national team since making his international debut in 2006 and will be sorely missed by Barcelona, who only have Douglas and Adriano as cover at right-back and are banned from buying any new players until January 2016.
Balague: Alves will sign new deal
But despite these strong rumours - and Alves’s own words - Spanish journalist Guillem Balague tweeted on Saturday to say that the defender will, in fact, pen a contract extension at the Camp Nou.
He wrote: “Dani Alves will continue at FC Barcelona for at least another season (till 2016 at least). The club will confirm a new contract soon.”
Watch this space…