Boxing

Saul Alvarez decision gives hope to Miguel Cotto bout

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

With the news that Mexican sensation Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez has pulled out of his fight with Joshua Clottey, hopes of a huge fight with Miguel Cotto are renewed.

24-year-old Alvarez was due to face off with the 37-year-old Ghanaian on December 6 but has decided to allow a long-term ankle injury to heal.

Related articles

Bakhtov unlikely to provide tough test for Joshua
Warrington wins European title
Bellew And Cleverly to renew rivalry

Promoter Oscar De La Hoya has said: "It bothers him so much when he runs, or when he's up on his toes and hitting the bag. I think it's like a muscle strain in his ankle, is what you might call it. It's nothing serious, but the pain is serious enough now that he didn't want to go through with a training camp and then this fight. He wanted to get it fixed.

"He went through the Lara fight with it and he didn't want to go through that again. He knows 2015 is going to be a huge year and he told me he wanted to be in tip-top shape."

Attentions turn to Cotto

It now seems that attentions have turned to a mega fight with 33-year-old four-weight world champion Cotto.

Cotto is a hugely popular boxer as is Alvarez and a fight between the two would be one of the most anticipated in the sport.

Alvarez has built a huge fanbase and is already vastly experienced with 44 wins, one loss and one draw on his record. He has been in with the likes of Floyd Mayweather, Shane Mosley, Austin Trout, Alfredo Angulo and most recently against Erislandy Lara.

Lara’s style was all wrong for Alvarez but he still got the job done with his higher workrate and sustained attack to the body. There were those who believed that Lara did enough to claim a victory in what was a close fight but for my money Alvarez was the rightful winner.

Cotto's credentials

Cotto’s style would seem to gel better, making a more entertaining fight for fans. He is surely a future Hall of Famer with a record of 39 wins and four losses having fought the likes of Zab Judah, Shane Mosley, Antonio Margarito, Clottey, Manny Pacquiao, Mayweather and many others.

Cotto became a four-weight world champion earlier this year with a destructive performance against the then WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez and confidence would be high going into such a fight.

Cotto showed up the fragility of Martinez physically and took full advantage of a man who looked like a shadow of his former self. It was sad to see such a great champion clearly struggling in such a way but full credit has to go to Cotto for his performance on the night.

Next May?

It is being speculated that the bout could take place in May of next year in what would be a very tough fight to call. Some still question just how good Alvarez really is but he has undoubted ability.

Alvarez is strong, has a high workrate and is technically underrated but he has shown a vulnerability against good movers. He likes a fighter to stand in front of him and trade shots but it is unlikely that Cotto would elect to stand and trade.

Cotto would look to use his boxing skills with his seeming second lease of life under trainer Freddie Roach and for many his experience against the best out there may prove the key factor in the fight.

This would be a financially lucrative fight for all concerned and would definitely be one of the fights of the year so let’s hope it does come to fruition.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Miguel Cotto
Middleweight
Saul Alvarez
Boxing
Light middleweight

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again