Los Angeles Clippers star Blake Griffin has finally spoken out after being arrested for misdemeanour battery yesterday.
The Clippers power forward - and one of the most high profile players in the NBA - said he is "confident" after being charged with one count of misdemeanour battery related to an incident in a Las Vegas nightclub last month.
Griffin and his Clippers teammates addressed the situation at practice on Thursday, refusing to comment on the circumstances following the arrest but apologising for the distraction it had caused.
"I'm really not allowed to speak on that," Griffin said before practice Thursday. "But I'm very confident in the situation, so once I can [speak on it], I will."
Griffin said being charged wasn't scary, but he instead wished it wasn't hanging over the team. "I definitely wouldn't say scary. I feel more badly just for the fact that it's a distraction," Griffin said. "I really don't know how big of a distraction it really is, but it is. So that's what I feel mostly bad about."
- Dwight Howard hits out at Kobe
- Derrick Rose criticised unfairly
- Lakers head coach slams his own team
According to the filing in the Clark County District Attorney's office, Griffin "willfully and unlawfully used force or violence" on October 19th on Daniel Schuman in Vegas, squeezing Schuman's hand and shoulder and/or slapping him in the face.
According to reports at the time of the incident, Griffin was upset by camera flashes in his face and grabbed Schuman's phone.
Teammates DeAndre Jordan and Chris Paul were with Griffin at the club that night but were not involved in the alleged incident. Both spoke out as well giving their support for Blake as did head coach Doc Rivers who said it would work out.