Roy Keane has quit his role as assistant manager at Aston Villa with immediate effect.
The 43-year-old has admitted to struggling to manage his time with the Premier League club with a similar role held with the Republic of Ireland national team as Martin O'Neill's assistant.
He was only installed as Paul Lambert's number two at Villa Park in July, but has come to an agreement to terminate his contract. Keane said it came down to a choice between Aston Villa or Ireland.
"Ultimately, my roles with Villa and Ireland and combining my commitment to these have become too much"
"Ultimately, my roles with Villa and Ireland and combining my commitment to these have become too much. It isn't fair to either Villa or Ireland, so I've made this decision," Keane said in a statement.
A spokesman for the club suggested that the former Manchester United captain had been left with little time to spend with his family with the pressure of managing both positions taking its toll on his personal life.
Lambert has stated that he will be looking for a replacement to take up the position as soon as possible. With Aston Villa in the midst of a relegation scrap, the manager could do with all help he can get.
Replacement in the works
"Roy came to me this morning and he informed me that, ultimately, the difficulty of combining both roles has prompted his decision, which I respect totally," he said.
"In the brief period we have worked together he has been great in the role and I understand his reasons for leaving."
Villa will travel to Burnley on Saturday in what could be a pivotal game for their season. They sit just two points above the relegation zone and have not won in nine Premier League games. Meanwhile Burnley have won two on the bounce and could overtake Villa with a win at Turf Moor.
Keane's most infamous moment during his six month stay at Aston Villa came when he refused to acknowledge Jose Mourinho after the Chelsea manager attempted to shake hands before the match had ended. The Irishman later warned Mourinho he would be knocked out if he tried it again.
He is quoted in The Standard as saying: "It's disgraceful.
"I've seen him doing it to other managers, it is a disgrace. The game is still going on. You wouldn't do that on a Sunday morning, you would get knocked out."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms