It seemed like the perfect love story, a law graduate and model and an incredible athlete who overcame his disability to become the first amputee to compete at the Olympic Games in 2012.
However Valentines Day in 2013 the pair had a blazing row and during the night Oscar Pistorius shot Reeva Steenkamp through the bathroom door.
Pistorius claimed that he was mistaken, he thought he was shooting an intruder. The ensuing trial ruined his character and showed him to be an easily angered man who would often fire guns without considering the consequences.
The athlete’s trial was postponed in May while psychiatric tests were carried out to determine whether he was criminally responsible for the death of his girlfriend.
The tests concluded that Pistorius was aware of his actions at the time and his anxiety disorder was not enough cause for the sprinter to shoot Steenkamp.
There was intense speculation over the summer as his trial resumed. In September Pistorius had a minor victory, he was found not guilty of murder, however the judge found him guilty of culpable homicide, the South African equivalent of manslaughter.
There was an anxious wait for Pistorius, he had to wait a month to be sentenced which could be anywhere from a suspended sentence to 15 years in prison.
In mid-October Pistorius returned to the courtroom to hear what sentence the judge Thokozile Masipa would be handing down.
The athlete was given a five year sentence, however he could be free after serving a third of his sentence and spend the rest of the sentence under house arrest.
The judge said that anything less than a custodial sentence would send the wrong message and Steenkamp’s parents had said that they were satisfied with the outcome.
The sentence all but rules Pistorius out of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro and more than likely spells the end of his career.
GMS 2014 moments so far...
11. Rory McIlroy wins back-to-back majors
12. Atletico Madrid win La Liga
13. Liverpool's title challenge unravels
14. Liverpool's dramatic victories
15. David Moyes sacked by Manchester United
16. LeBron James confirms sensational Cleveland Cavaliers return
17. Seattle Seahawks blow out Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII
18. Jo Pavey wins European gold
19. Robin van Persie's remarkable header against Spain
20. Michael Sam comes out and gets drafted by Rams
21. Andy Murray crashes out of Wimbledon
22. James Rodriguez won our hearts and the golden boot with this moment
23. Peyton Manning breaks Brett Favre's Touchdown record
24. Richard Sherman's outburst live on TV
25. Chelsea rout Arsenal 6-0
26. Ashes whitewash and Kevin Pietersen sacking
27. San Francisco Giants win the World Series
28. Angel di Maria signs for Manchester United
29. Wayne Rooney named England captain
30. Bradley Wiggins wins the world title
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms