With Christmas just around the corner and New Year’s a little over a week away, we are now into the top 10 of GiveMeSport’s countdown of the biggest sporting moments of 2014. Coming in at number 9 on our list is Derek Jeter bowing out of Major League Baseball after 19 years at the top.
Obviously we're not calling it a top moment because we're glad Jeter has retired. This is a celebration of the great man himself, and an ode to all he has achieved during his esteemed career.
2014 might not have been Jeter's best season statistically, he batted just .256 with an WAR of 0.2 - but it still managed to provide some great moments to see Mr. October off after nearly two decades at the top.
In his final season the 39-year old managed to record his 1,000th multi-hit game, was elected to his 14th All-Star Game, broke the MLB record for career games started at shortstop, broke Lou Gehrig's Yankees record of 594 doubles, and moved up to 6th on the all-time MLB hit list.
And then their was his last game at Yankee Stadium. One of the greatest Yankees in history delivered just like he always does, in a way that would be unbelievable in Hollywood blockbusters.
Article continues below
Facing the Orioles, the Yankees were tied at 5 each in the bottom of the 9th when Jeter stepped up to the plate with a runner on second.
Then Jeter did what he has always done, came through in the clutch. Jeter jumped on a first-pitch fastball from Baltimore pitcher Evan Meek and hit an inside out swing that thumped the ball deep along to right field, hitting the winning walk-off run in the very last time he would stand at home plate for the most historic team in baseball.
And with that he was done. Of course there was a game against the Red Sox at Fenway still to play but that didn't matter. This was Jeter's swan-song and like so many other times before he stole the show with ease that will be missed.
GMS 2014 moments so far...
09. Europe win the Ryder Cup
10. Oscar Pistorious convicted of killing Reeva Steenkamp
11. Rory McIlroy wins back-to-back majors
12. Atletico Madrid win La Liga
13. Liverpool's title challenge unravels
14. Liverpool's dramatic victories
15. David Moyes sacked by Manchester United
16. LeBron James confirms sensational Cleveland Cavaliers return
17. Seattle Seahawks blow out Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII
18. Jo Pavey wins European gold
19. Robin van Persie's remarkable header against Spain
20. Michael Sam comes out and gets drafted by Rams
21. Andy Murray crashes out of Wimbledon
22. James Rodriguez won our hearts and the golden boot with this moment
23. Peyton Manning breaks Brett Favre's Touchdown record
24. Richard Sherman's outburst live on TV
25. Chelsea rout Arsenal 6-0
26. Ashes whitewash and Kevin Pietersen sacking
27. San Francisco Giants win the World Series
28. Angel di Maria signs for Manchester United
29. Wayne Rooney named England captain
30. Bradley Wiggins wins the world title
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms