Liverpool set to miss out on Gonzalo Higuain and Mauro Icardi

Published Add your comment

Liverpool have been dealt a blow in their quest to sign Argentina's strike force of Gonzalo Higuain and Mauro Icardi.

Higuain dismissed speculation surrounding his future following reports linking the Napoli front man with a big money move to Anfield.

Speaking to Sky Italia and reported by ITV, Higuain revealed his intent to stay with the Serie A side which he joined from Real Madrid back in 2013.

Happy at Napoli

"I am happy here. I have a contract here," he said after netting the winner in a 1-0 victory over Lazio on Sunday.

Currently the 27-year-old has three-years left on his original five-year deal with Napoli following his move from the Spanish giants but rumours over a potential move had gathered pace following the arrival of Italian forward Manolo Gabbiadini from Sampdoria last week.

Icardo to Atleti?

Another big name striker could also be falling from Liverpool's grasp as Inter Milan star Mauro Icardi is said to be on the radar of La Liga champions Atletico Madrid.

Icardi is one of the most attractive targets in Europe at the moment with Inter struggling in their bid to qualify for the Champions League and will need to gather funds to meet UEFA Financial Fair Play rules.

But whereas Liverpool and Chelsea both want to wait for the summer to make bids for the Argentine, when he would likely be available for much cheaper than at the present, The Express reports they may need to act quickly to fend off Atletico who are set to offer highly-rated defensive midfielder, and Arsenal target, Mario Suarez plus cash for the 21-year-old.

Higuain and Icardi would have been a very welcome boost to a Liverpool side who are struggling to find a suitable replacement for Luis Suarez, and instead are currently relying on Raheem Sterling and Fabio Borini as the starting strikers with Mario Balotelli under-performing and Rickie Lambert's goal at Villa Park on Saturday a rare moment to cheer.

Lambert to be shown the door?

Indeed The Sun has reported Rickie Lambert could leave the club this month should a deal be agreed with Lille to secure the return of loaned-out striker Divock Origi.

While Brendan Rodgers would like to keep the former Southampton forward and lifelong Liverpool fan in his plans for the Europa League, the manager admitted if the 19-year-old who was signed from the French side for £11m before being loaned back last summer was to return to Merseyside Lambert's Premier League game time would be virtually none.

Therefore with another young striker Jordan Ibe returning from his loan spell at Derby County, Liverpool could listen to offers for the 32-year-old with four teams said to be interested; Hull City, West Brom, Swansea City and Crystal Palace.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Premier League
Gonzalo Higuain
Rickie Lambert
Transfer News

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again