Football league games in Egypt have been suspended indefinitely after clashes between supporters in Cairo left 22 dead and at least 20 injured on Sunday, according to Goal.com.
According to the Egyptian Interior Minister ticketless Zamalek supporters clashed with police in an attempt to gain access to the Air Defence Stadium in the capital for their match against ENPPI.
Zamalek's supporters group, the White Knights, have challenged this statement on their Facebook page alleging that fans were tear-gassed as they tried to get in the stadium, with a "tiny metal fence surrounded by barbed wire being the only gate opened for us".
An arrest warrant has been issued for the leaders of the White Knights.
This is the second time in three years that Egyptian football has been suspended due to clashes between supporters. In February 2012 74 Al-Ahly fans were killed due to riots started by Al-Masry fans in Port Said.
Article continues below
Port Said incident
Later in that year, supporters burned down the headquarters of the Egyptian Football Association demanding that the instigators of the Port Said atrocities be brought to justice before domestic football resumed.
Since then it has been common for sets of fans to try and storm into stadiums without tickets.
Supporters across Egypt have only recently been allowed back into stadiums after the 2012 incidents but their movements are still limited by the authorities. Only 10,000 tickets were released for yesterday's game despite the fact the capacity is 30,000.
Due to the clashes Sunday's match kicked off over an hour late. The teams drew 1-1.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms