After weeks and months of speculation, the Denver Broncos have officially confirmed that Peyton Manning will be returning for the 2015 NFL season.
The quarterback's future had been up in the air with whether or not the veteran would want to return after his complete playoff failure last year, and if he could actually pass the physical he has to undergo before returning.
But now, according to the Broncos official website, Manning will be back under center in Mile High for at least the next season.
"I've been working real hard and I'm excited to be back with the Denver Broncos," Manning told the Denver Post. "Can't wait for April 13 to get here when the team can finally come together. I'm excited to get to work and get to know the new coaches and looking forward to trying to make 2015 a special year."
Last season Manning managed his second highest ever season mark of passing yards of 4,727 as well as his third-best season in passing touchdowns in his career with 39 TD's.
Manning is coming back on a new contract as well. The 38-year old (who will turn 39 before the season starts) has taken a $4million pay cut ahead of the 2015 season which should allow the Broncos to keep some of Manning's star teammates around him for the foreseeable future.
John Elway, the Broncos general manager who won Super Bowls aged 37 and 38, is ecstatic to have Manning back and believes that the veteran can do well next year after the let-down loss to the Colts.
“Peyton could fit in this offense very easily,” Elway said. “It’s a lot more dependent on balance, so therefore Peyton is hopefully not going to have to throw the ball 50 or 55 times. I think for an older quarterback, it’s a perfect system to be in.”
We should see a different Broncos in 2015. Julius Thomas will likely be leaving in free agency and the team has a new head coach in Gary Kubiak who will bring in a powerful running offense that should help take the load of Peyton. We'll have to wait and see if these changes make any true differences to their fortunes.