Football

Tottenham must keep Harry Kane in north London

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

If there was ever a display that underlined Harry Kane's importance to the Tottenham cause, Saturday's 4-3 victory against Leicester at White Hart Lane was it.

Defensively, Spurs were suspect. Three more conceded only added to their worrying total of 45 goals against their name - the worst out of all the top 11 teams in the league this season. Yet instead of going home disappointed, Spurs fans left delighted after witnessing another match-winning masterclass from Kane.

To the naked eye, there was nothing special about Kane's hat-trick on Saturday. One goal was a tap in, another a deflection and the last was a penalty. However, it summed up what the 21 year-old has been about this season - movement and anticipation.

Article continues below

It capped off what has been a great week for Kane, with a first England call up followed by Saturday's display which took him joint-top of the Premier League scoring charts with 19, moving ahead of Sergio Aguero and drawing level with Diego Costa in the process. 

Ahead of England's latest Euro 2016 qualifier against Lithuania, BBC pundit and Premier League legend Alan Shearer wants Kane to be in the thick of it from the off.

Article continues below

"I think Roy Hodgson should start him for England", said the former England striker on Match of the Day.

"Hodgson has watched him enough times, he knows what he's about and, in the form that he's in, he'll score goals and be a great foil for Wayne Rooney."

The impressive stats

And the stats emphasise how impressive Kane has been to earn his England call.

This season Kane has averaged a goal in the Premier League every 98.26 minutes and has more goals in all competitions (29) than Manchester United's striking trio Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and Radamel Falcao have combined (26).

Not only that, but Kane's league goals have won Spurs 22 points - more than any other player in the Premier League. And just to prove how clinical he has become in front of goal, Kane has converted 55 per cent of his chances, which in far superior to Sergio Aguero, who has taken 45 per cent of his opportunities.

Easing the pressure

Kane's clinical finishing has taken the pressure of the likes of Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela to go and play in their creative manner. The Englishman's goals are also keeping Tottenham in with a sniff of a Champions League spot, even if Manchester United's win over Liverpool has made the task of achieving fourth place even more difficult.

Kane also likes to run the channels and integrate himself more in his team's play. He averages 0.7 key passes per game, as well as 25.2 passes with a 75.8 per cent success rate. He not only shows how efficient he is in front of goal, but also how well he is adapting as an all-round, supportive striker. 

Manager's backing

His manager Mauricio Pochettino has seen enough.

"Fantastic performance; I am very pleased for him [Kane] - first time he's had three goals in the Premier League [in one game]," said the Spurs boss after the Kane's performance against Leicester.

"Harry is part of Tottenham, I'm happy for him but I think we worked hard. It was a difficult game, but it's true Harry is a very important player for us. He's in a very good moment in his career."

Kane's importance to Tottenham is undoubted, but what is less likely is if the London club can keep him. The likes of Chelsea and Manchester City, who will want to add more English players to their squad in the summer, are almost certainly going to be interested in the near future.

Keeping him in north London

Based on the amount of high-level departures from White Hart Lane in recent years, it might be very difficult to keep their new goalscoring revelation.

Even former Spurs chairman Lord Sugar admits that if the big clubs come calling, Kane's future may grow uncertain.

"You don't have to accept any sort of money for a player," Sugar told talkSPORT. "The big issue people miss out is the untenable pressure that is placed upon a club when a player wants to leave. Then the money becomes irrelevant." 

Kane's future is bound to fall in the hands of chairman Daniel Levy, who is notorious for driving a hard bargain when it comes to selling his best players. During the world-record sale of Gareth Bale during the summer of 2013, Levy refused to sell the Welshman unless Real Madrid coughed up the £85.3 million wanted in order to prise him to the Bernabeu.

Hard bargain

It is most likely that Levy will do the same with his new star man Kane. 

There is the option, of course, to reject all incoming offers for Kane and build the team around the striker, which would seem the most plausible option considering Spurs' ambitions of returning to the Champions League.

And if Kane can continue his goal-scoring streak for a while yet, that ambition could become a reality.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Football
Premier League
Tottenham Hotspur
England Football

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again