Brock Lesnar shocked the WWE Universe on Tuesday when he made the decision to re-sign with the wrestling company on a new, three-year contract.
Though most in WWE expected Lesnar to sign the deal, the fact that he accepted the offer so close to WrestleMania 31 has subsequently given the wrestling world a massive boost going into their biggest event of the year.
At this point, WWE fans should feel excited by the prospect of another three years of Lesnar, but a revelation made by wrestling expert Dave Meltzer on Wednesday morning will make fans feel even more relieved that they already are.
According to Meltzer, it is said that Lesnar was so close to a move back to UFC that he was training for a return to the Octagon up until two days ago, shortly before Vince McMahon made the epic offer following Monday Night Raw.
"Lesnar was seriously considering going back to UFC and it was not just something being said for leverage. Lesnar was training as late as two days ago," wrestling news reported via Meltzer.
"Friends of Lesnar did not want him to go back to MMA and his wife also did not want him to fight again, but there was still a part of Lesnar that still wanted to compete in real sports."
Lesnar announced his decision to re-sign with WWE on ESPN's SportsCenter, simultaneously earning WWE a huge amount of publicity ahead of Mania on Sunday.
In the interview, Lesnar revealed that his decision was not an overnight one, but he did add that McMahon's contract offer to him earlier this week was just too good not to turn down.
"This wasn't an overnight decision," Lesnar said. "This was a long and heartfelt decision. You weigh out the pros. You weigh out the cons. At the end of the day, last night, old Vince McMahon put the offer on the table that I couldn't refuse. That's really what it comes down to: Business and money and health and well-being."
Though this is great news for Brock Lesnar, is this good news for the WWE? Lesnar will work part-time for full-time money, which could be destabilising for the company.