San Diego Chargers are treading on thin water at the moment. In the last few seasons they have relied heavily on the passing game to win them games, and next season it looks as though that reliance is going to become even more apparent following the team's latest bizarre decision.
During free agency, former starting running back Ryan Mathews was picked up by the Philadelphia Eagles to be their second tier running back, while the Chargers refrained from picking up a star running back to replace Mathews.
Furthermore, on Thursday the team's head coach Mike McCoy and general manager Tom Telesco made comments that should worry Chargers fans.
According to McCoy and Telesco, Mathews is replaceable from within. Granted, Branden Oliver showed flashes of brilliance last year, but to say he can be a starter next year is absurd. But that's exactly what San Diego's top brass thinks.
"Branden Oliver can be a starter in this league," general manager Tom Telesco told NFL.com. "Donald Brown has been a starter. ... We know what Danny can do. We have three great guys. I'm not saying we wouldn't add somebody, but we don't need to."
San Diego fans will be hoping that the team does add somebody in the draft. Danny Woodhead is no more than a poor man's Darren Sproles and Donald Brown proved last year that he has well and truly stagnated, with the former starter only managing 2.6 yards a carry in 2014.
"We could win the three guys we have right now; I believe that," coach Mike McCoy said, per U-T San Diego. "We're going to play them all. They're all going to play in their own way. We'll see what happens through the draft and the rest of free agency with what's available."
It remains to be seen whether or not San Diego really stick to their plan of not adding to their back division, but what do you think Chargers fans? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.