Red Sox place Christian Vazquez on disabled list - surgery possible

Published Add your comment

Boston Red Sox were supposed to be the team of this decade. After their 2013 triumph things were looking rosy, but they were brought back down to earth last year with a bang after a terrible 71-91 season that placed them last in the American League East.

To make matters worse, the Red Sox pretty much ripped out the heart of their 2013 roster that won the World Series for the third time in nine years.

But in and amongst the terrible scenes of 2014 for the Red Sox, the strong play of Christian Vazquez at catcher was heartwarming for fans, with the 24-year-old showing signs that he will become a future star.

Article continues below

Disabled list

Those hopes and dreams for Red Sox fans were dashed when Vazquez was forced out of the last few Spring Training games before it was revealed that he had an elbow issue.

Furthermore, it was revealed on Monday that the Red Sox had admitted that they will be without Vazquez for a while following the ball club's decision to place him on the 60-day disabled list with a sprained right elbow.

Article continues below

"The club placed him on the 60-day disabled list Monday with a sprained right elbow. The move allows the Red Sox to add newly-acquired catcher Sandy Leon to the 40-man roster," reports said.

"With the transaction, the Red Sox now have 44 players in big league camp, including 32 active players from the 40-man roster, 11 non-roster invitees, and one player on the disabled list."

Surgery needed 

At the moment it is quite likely that Vazquez will need Tommy John surgery, but the Boston Herald has reported that the catcher will travel to Pensacola hoping to get a second opinion on whether he has to go under the knife. Teammate Humberto Quintero is not particularly optimistic about Vazquez's chances of not needing surgery, and he admits Vazquez is preparing for the worst.

“He’s quite sad about it, and I know he hopes they tell him that he will not need the Tommy John surgery,’’ said Humberto Quintero, according to the Boston Herald. “But if he has the surgery, I know he’ll work hard to come back and he’ll be fine. He’s still a young guy.”

It is safe to say that losing Vasquez for nine months would be a blow, but would it be a fatal blow to Boston's season? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Boston Red Sox
Boston Red Sox

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again