Jameis Winston has had an explosive football career so far. Heisman winner as a freshman, Winston has won a National Championship and has also lost one.
Off the field he has had his fair of trials and tribulations as well. The former college star was accused of rape in 2012 but no charges were ever filed.
Winston has always maintained his innocence and his accuser has always maintained the validity of her claims, which has brought about a mixed opinion on Winston.
Just a stunt
That opinion got even more polarized this week when it was revealed that Winston's accuser is suing him. Safe to say that Winston's legal team didn't bat an eyelid, and his attorney David Cornwell made these strong comments on Friday in response.
“This stunt was expected,” Cornwell said in the statement, a copy of which Cornwell has forwarded to ProFootballTalk. “[The accuser’s] false accusations have already been exposed and rejected six times. This time will be no different. Mr. Winston welcomes the opportunity to clear his name with the truth."
Bucs don't care
These are pretty firm comments from Winston's attorney, and they come on the back of a statement by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, who have the first overall draft pick, in which they said that this latest action by Winston's accuser will not affect the team's decision to draft him or not.
Cornwell then went further and explained that Winston is fully focused on getting ready to play in the NFL and not worrying about "distractions" like this.
“Mr. Winston is looking forward to the upcoming draft. He will not permit this ploy to distract him as he begins the journey of fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a championship quarterback in the National Football League.”
What do you make of Winston's attorney's comments and the lawsuit against Winston? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/1a2aYpZ