The Seattle Seahawks are a real Marmite team in the NFL, you either love them or you hate them.
But near enough everybody is in agreement in their despising of the Seahawks spending a second round draft pick on Frank Clark, a former Michigan Wolverine defensive end who was kicked off the team following his arrest on charges of domestic violence last year.
The backlash to the pick was very real, with fans and reporters alike reacting in dismay. This caused the Seahawks to immediately go on the defensive, with team executives claiming that they had conducted an investigation into the incident, determining that Clark did not hit his ex-girlfriend. It now seems that neither of these things are true.
Article continues below
Seahawks Under Fire
According to a report today from the Seattle Times, it seems like the only thing that the Seattle Seahawks' "thorough investigation" into Clark's arrest consisted only of interviewing Clark himself.
"The team acknowledged on Monday that their investigation did not include interviews with witnesses other than Clark," the Times wrote.
Article continues below
"Definitely Beat Up"
The Times then went in to more details about what happened in the build up to Clark's arrest. Kristie Colie, who was staying in the hotel room next to one being used by Clark and his then-girlfriend Diamond Hurt, says she saw a woman who “was definitely beat up.”
“She looked unconscious,’’ Colie said. “She looked like she was knocked out, and then she started to move slowly.’’ “The kids were saying, ‘He killed my sister!’ ’’
The police report describes Hurt as saying Clark punched her in the face. It also quotes the victim’s brothers as saying they witnessed Clark punch her.
According to the brothers, when the victim tried to defend herself, Clark “grabbed her by the throat, picked her up off the ground and slammed her to the ground while also landing on top of her.’’
So why did the Seahawks select Frank Clark in the second round of the draft, with all these corroborating reports about him attacking a woman in this post-Ray Rice NFL? Well, the most obvious reason is that he is a good football player that recorded 4.5 sacks in a 2014 season cut short.
But there could be another reason. Clark managed to essentially get away lightly from the sexual violence charge by taking a plea bargain. Three weeks ago, Clark pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of persistent disorderly conduct in a plea deal with prosecutors.
He was given a $250 fine, received no further jail time beyond two days already served and most importantly won’t have a domestic-violence conviction on his record. That could well have been the deciding factor, the lack of a DV on his record.
We'll have to wait and see what Seahawks general manager John Schneider comes out and says after this revelation. We could be set for a very big back-pedal in Seattle.
DO YOU THINK THE SEAHAWKS HAVE MADE A MISTAKE IN DRAFTING FRANK CLARK? TELL US BELOW...
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms