San Diego Chargers fans have been dealt some terrible news today relating to their star safety Eric Weddle.
Weddle had been hoping to extend his contract with the AFC West franchise this offseason, but the team revealed today that they will not discuss new terms prior to the start of the 2015 season.
This leaves the distinct possibility that Weddle will leave San Diego after the upcoming campaign and hit free agency.
Chargers snub Weddle
The fact that the Chargers do not have the intention of discussing a new deal with their star defensive player should worry San Diego fans.
"The San Diego Chargers have no intentions of discussing a new contract for safety Eric Weddle prior to the start of the upcoming season," ProFootballTalk reported.
"According to Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Weddle’s agent, David Canter, said the team informed him there would be no discussions on a new deal with the team this year."
Weddle was named the Chargers' Defensive Player of the Year three out of the last four campaigns, and the prospect of losing such a dominant player makes San Diego's decision to not discuss new terms even more surprising.
According to Weddle's agent, David Canter, the star safety is relaxed about the prospect of playing out his contract and hitting free agency next year.
“He’ll be excited about playing this year and then hit free agency,” Canter said, according to PFT.
What do you make of San Diego's decision? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below this article.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms
Elsewhere in the NFL
Denver Broncos have come to terms with rookie linebacker Shane Ray, who signed a four-year deal worth $9 million on Monday.