Former San Francisco 49ers defensive end Ray McDonald has had a difficult last 12 months that's for sure.
For the most part, McDonald's trials have come because of his serious mistakes off-the-field - mistakes which continue to happen.
Before the 2014 NFL season, McDonald was seen as a solid member of the 49ers that hadn't earned too much publicity for his actions on or off the field.
Intense media scrutiny
But during the last campaign he became the subject of plenty of media scrutiny after he was plunged into a situation that had him defending himself against claims of domestic abuse and sexual assault.
San Francisco initially decided to support the defensive end and didn't discipline him straightaway. However, the day after he was accused of sexual assault for a second time, McDonald was released by the 49ers.
That accusation of sexual assault has now raised its head again after McDonald chose to file a defamation suit against his rape accuser, with that defamation case being thrown out of court today, according to reports.
"McDonald filed a defamation suit against a woman who accused him of rape, but a judge threw that case out on Monday," ProFootballTalk reported on Tuesday.
"The dismissal of the case has nothing to do with whether the woman was lying or telling the truth when she said McDonald raped her.
"Instead, the judge ruled that McDonald had produced no admissible evidence that the woman had told anyone other than the police that McDonald raped her, and statements to police are protected from defamation cases."
McDonald played for the 49ers at the time of the alleged sexual assault, with the team cutting him after the revelation went viral.
The defensive end managed to get another team, the Chicago Bears, to take a chance on him in March, but he was released again last month after he was accused of domestic violence and possible child endangerment.