The San Diego Chargers have flown under the radar as they look towards the 2015 NFL season.
There have been several off the field story lines with the potential franchise move to Los Angeles, along with the Philip Rivers' contract situation, but there has not been much going on-the-field for Chargers fans.
The Chargers did draft well however, picking the exciting pair of running back Melvin Gordon and linebacker Denzel Perryman in the first and second rounds, respectively. But it is their veterans that the fans should be worrying about.
At the age of 35, it is safe to assume that the career of Antonio Gates may be winding down. After all, the tight end has previously asked his coaches to give him less receptions next season as his body can no longer take the toll of 69 catches.
Gates was asked about retirement recently but said that he was thinking more about Championships than hanging up his pads.
“As you get older, people say things — make speculation about what you’re doing and how much you have left in the tank,” Gates said, via ESPN.com. “For me, it’s all about how I feel as a person, and how my body feels, physically and mentally. As of right now I feel great. I feel good physically. I’m in a great place mentally. So I’ll just see how it goes."
"I have no expectations on how long I will play, or if this is my last year. As of right now, my main focus is just being around the guys, getting acclimated with the new fellas that are here and still winning a championship in San Diego.”
If Gates matches the 12 touchdown catches that he managed last season, he will be level with Tony Gonzalez for the most receiving touchdowns by a tight end in the history of the National Football League.
Gates said Wednesday that matching Gonzalez’s accomplishments is “somewhat of a motivation” as he prepares for his 13th NFL season, but it’s not his primary one. That would be winning a championship, something that Chargers fans will love to hear.
HOW DO YOU THINK GATES AND THE CHARGERS WILL DO IN 2015? TELL US BELOW...