The Dallas Cowboys are going in to the 2015 NFL season seriously hoping that the decisions they made don't come back to haunt them.
The Cowboys decided to put the franchise tag on star wide receiver Dez Bryant, but the man himself wasn't happy with that and has decided to avoid all OTA's and minicamp practices as he waits it out for a new contract.
That led to the Cowboys having to let All-Pro running back DeMarco Murray leave after amassing a mammoth 1,800 yards in one season. The Cowboys decided to replace Murray with former Oakland Raiders backup Darren McFadden, in a move that made sense to absolutely no one.
The Cowboys seem completely happy with McFadden or Joseph Randle being their starting running back, whichever eventually wins the job.
Dallas owner Jerry Jones was speaking on Wednesday and said that nothing has changed on that front with the offseason drawing to a close, with no trades or new signings coming in to the running back corps.
“We’re very comfortable. We want to continue to balance the right amount of work for McFadden, Randle, Dunbar, we want to get them the right amount of work, but we don’t want to be foolish as to what we do as we get on into the physical part of training camp,” Jones said, according to USA Today.
“Those are guys we’re planning to go against New York [Giants, the Cowboys’ Week One opponents] with.”
The Cowboys do have good reason to trust in Randle and third choice Lance Dunbar. Randle's 6.7-yards-a-carry average last year in relief of Murray is a sign that he has real big-play potential, while Dunbar can come in as a third-down option after he averaged more than 12 yards a catch last year.
McFadden was a number one at times during his time with the Raiders, but it looks like he will serve as an experienced head to have in the rotation.