Rewind to Wednesday and you would find a Jose Mourinho happy to talk about Chelsea's ongoing pursuit of Everton star John Stones.
During a press conference, Mourinho said that he understood why Roberto Martinez had chosen to reject Chelsea's £20m transfer bid for the England international, hinting that he was prepared to go above and beyond £30m to sign him.
He had the audacity to call the Toffees a 'smaller club' suggesting Chelsea had every right to pluck their best young stars if the price was right.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
But fast-forward to the present day, when Chelsea's defence have since let a second-string MLS side score four goals past them, and Mourinho cuts a much more defiant figure.
After the 4-2 defeat to New York Red Bulls, the Special One was asked whether or not he had launched a second, improved offer for Stones.
He confirmed that no second offer had been made and backtracked on his previous comments, saying he was happy to start the new season with the current squad.
Mourinho said: "You are speaking with the manager of the best team in England. We are a top team, we have top players. We don't need other players, we trust these players."
While Chelsea may well be the best team in England for the moment, their defensive pairing of John Terry and Kurt Zouma failed to cover themselves in glory after letting four goals slip in just 27 second-half minutes.
It was a less than impressive display from the Chelsea defenders and a clear sign that they may well need new blood in the form of Stones.
Terry, who will turn 35-years-old in December, will not be able to fulfil his ever-present role for the team this coming season and Zouma is yet to gain the physical strength required of a Premier League defender.
However, Mourinho now has priorities other than Stones after he confirmed Filipe Luis had completed his return to Atletico Madrid. It leaves the Blues with just one recognised left-back in Cesar Azpilicueta.
Mourinho remained defiant, saying: "We sold Filipe. We have the best left-back in England -Azpilicueta."
Chelsea have been linked with Augbsurg defender Baba Rahman and have been tipped to make a £14m offer in the coming days.
Do Chelsea need a new centre-back this summer or would John Stones be a luxury?
Give us YOUR thoughts in the comment box below!