Burnley have reportedly had a second bid turned down from rivals Blackburn Rovers for captain Grant Hanley.
After the departure of Jason Shackell to Derby earlier this summer the Clarets are looking to rebuild the defence that saw them relegated from the Premier League last season.
The Scottish international is a brute force in defence and central to Gary Bowyer's plans next season, he has been touted to be as good as former academy product Phil Jones, who now plays for Manchester United.
BECOME A WRITER
Do you have what it takes? Sign up today and send over your 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay3
He arrived at Blackburn aged just 16 from Scottish giants Rangers and made his debut aged 18, now 23 and captaining the side.
With Shackell’s departure already confirmed and Burnley needing to rebuild in order to fight for a place back in the Premier League, the signing of Grant Hanley appears a no-brainer.
A towering defender at 6ft 3 he possesses considerably quality on the ball for someone his size. A tendency to be caught in possession can frustrate, but this can be said about any central defender who likes to play from the back.
Having spoken out against Jordan Rhodes own desire to leave Ewood park it would seem unlikely that he himself would leave the side just days later, especially to their rivals.
“Of course we do, somebody with Jordan’s record, he scores that many goals, it’s always a massive asset to a team,” he exclusively told the Lancashire Telegraph.
Blackburn are currently under a transfer embargo for failing financial fair play and this has restricted them to only being able to sign players on loan, or as free agents.
This would seriously hamper any attempt to replace Hanley did he leave. Having already lost Rudy Gustede, Joshua King and potentially Jordan Rhodes this would be seen a major blow to any Championship prospects the club have.
Blackburn begin their campaign this Saturday at home to Wolves and will expect to have Hanley available for selection.