Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers wants to get rid of the trio of Mario Balotelli, Jose Enrique and Fabio Borini before the summer transfer deadline of September 1, but has found no buyers for any of the three.
It’s been made clear in recent weeks that the Northern Irishman doesn’t want to incorporate any of said Anfield outcasts in his plans, and the three have even been training away from the first-team ahead of expected exits.
However, according to ESPN the interest from other clubs in doing business with Liverpool for either Balotelli, Enrique or Borini hasn’t culminated in a firm offer. As a result the Reds could be stuck with them until at least January.
Of course that’s not necessarily a bad thing - Enrique and Balotelli have been first-team regulars for the club in the past - but Rodgers is looking to trim his roster, and it makes sense to take money for players he doesn’t want now rather than let them wind down their contracts on the Anfield periphery.
Of the three it’s Balotelli who has sparked the most debate, with clubs both overseas and in England said to be considering him.
The issue with the Italian is that not only would he cost a fair bit - Liverpool only paid £16m for him last year - but his wages are also fairly hefty.
Then there’s Enrique, who has - not doing much, it would seem - angered plenty of Reds fans with his leisurely Twitter updates that aren’t really befitting of a man in his situation.
His position in the team looks to have been taken by the duo of Alberto Moreno and Joe Gomez, though not many clubs have been linked with him thus far.
Lastly, Borini has been closely monitored by Sunderland, as well as having drawn interest from his native Italy.
He’s never been considered a key man at Anfield and so his exit will probably be felt the least. In any case Rodgers still needs to find a buyer quickly.
Liverpool fans, of the three do you think Rodgers should keep any of them? Are any of them good enough to feature for the Reds moving forward? Let us know in the comments box below.