Michael Carrick has set his sights on earning a place in Roy Hodgson's Euro 2016 squad.
Carrick is likely to be included in Hodgson's squad for the upcoming qualifiers against San Marino and Switzerland, which will be named on Tuesday afternoon.
After a season interrupted by injury, the Manchester United midfielder found his way back into the England squad in the Spring and impressed during the 4-0 win over Lithuania and the creditable 1-1 draw against Italy in Turin.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
With Jack Wilshere out through yet another ankle injury, Carrick has a chance to stake his claim for a place in England's midfield over the next few weeks.
And after missing out on Euro 2012 and last year's World Cup, the 34-year-old is determined to make the cut for next summer's tournament in France.
Article continues below
"Of course I would like to go," Carrick said.
"I have been involved in the squad since the World Cup. I am looking to stay involved as much as I can.
"It is down to me to play enough here and play well enough to warrant a place."
Even though he is approaching the twilight of his career, Carrick is still regarded as a key player at United.
United only lost once when Carrick started for the club last year and boss Louis van Gaal had no hesitation in handing the long-serving midfielder a one-year contract extension in March.
Carrick's team-mate Wayne Rooney will, of course, be named in the squad when it is announced at a press conference with Hodgson at 12:30 on Tuesday.
The England captain has gone 10 matches without a goal for United, but will surely find at least the one goal he needs to equal Sir Bobby Charlton's all-time scoring record when he leads the team out in San Marino.
Harry Kane has also failed to find the net so far this term, but it would be a surprise if he were omitted from the squad, especially when Daniel Sturridge and Danny Welbeck are injury doubts.
As well as Kane, another 13 players who represented England during their disappointing Under-21 European Championship campaign this summer, are no longer eligible for the youth squad.
Saido Berahino and Jack Butland, along with Danny Ings, are perhaps the most likely players to receive a call-up for the games in San Marino on September 5 and the home fixture against Switzerland three days later.
Butland starred in Stoke's 1-1 draw at Norwich, but must be treated with care if called up according to Mark Hughes as the goalkeeper is currently nursing a broken finger.
"He needs to keep out of training sessions where balls are getting blasted at him and I will tell Roy that," the Stoke manager said.
Tony Pulis declared Berahino, who had a written transfer request rejected on Monday, was not mentally fit to face Chelsea on Sunday due to transfer speculation surrounding him.
It may be that the uncapped striker has to report for duty later than the rest of his team-mates at St George's Park on Tuesday in order to seal his move to Tottenham.
Another player who may end up in the same situation is John Stones, who looks likely to be in the running to add to his four senior caps.
Chelsea are considering whether to table another bid for the Everton centre-back before September 1.
England are short of defenders with Ryan Bertrand, Leighton Baines and Phil Jones all out through injury. Left-back Danny Rose is still to play a game for Spurs this term because of a thigh problem.
His Spurs team-mate Andros Townsend is doubtful due to an ankle injury, but Kyle Walker is available.
If England beat San Marino a week on Saturday and Slovenia fail to beat Switzerland on the same day, Hodgson's men will qualify for Euro 2016 with three games to spare.