Chelsea's transfer business not over yet

Published Add your comment

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has not been pleased with his team in recent weeks, as he publicly claimed he was "not happy" with some of his players' form in Chelsea's worst start to a season since 1998.

The Blues boss, spoke to the press after Chelsea's 3-0 defeat to Manchester City and despite claiming the result was "fake", he admitted his disappointment in some of the squad's star players.

‘I’m not happy with Branislav Ivanovic’s form, Gary Cahill, John Terry, Cesar Azpilicueta, Eden Hazard, Cesc Fabregas, Nemanja Matic," said a frustrated Mourinho, after the Portuguese coach saw his side collect just one point from their opening games against Swansea and Manchester City, whilst also displaying a poor pre-season.


Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250 word test article:

Article continues below

This undoubtedly allowed for rumours to spark about the club's transfer business, and since the defeat the Blues confirmed the signings of Augsburg left-back Abdul Baba Rahman for a fee believed to be within the region of £21m, whilst also announcing the capture of Spain star Pedro for a fee in the same region.

The transfer window closes on September 1, and Mourinho has not said whether he will return to the transfer market for new players, but it is widely believed that deals will go through before the deadline on Tuesday.

Article continues below

Growing speculation over the future of captain John Terry, 34, has seen Kurt Zouma fill in for him, during the games against Manchester City and West Bromwich Albion.

After Terry was sent off during Chelsea's 3-2 win at the Hawthorns, rumours have developed of John Stones' transfer to Chelsea. The Everton and England centre-back, has been the subject of failed bids from Chelsea, but they still see the England star as a future replacement for Terry.

Meanwhile, Chelsea have also been linked with a move for Juventus star Paul Pogba. The 22-year-old Frenchman is claimed to be in talks with Chelsea over a move after it was reported that the Blues had agreed a deal in principle believed to be within the region of £70million, breaking the British transfer record, which would be sealed before the end of the window.

Rumours of this deal heightened after a poor performance from Pogba during The Old Lady's 1-0 defeat to Udinese at the Juventus Stadium, with many speculating the cause to be the uncertainty surrounding his future. 

Chelsea have also been linked with a defensive move for Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane. The 22-year-old Frenchman, who has proven himself in La Liga and the Champions League to be a strong defender, is reportedly unsettled, with the Daily Star claiming Jose Mourinho is "confident" of getting the Real Madrid defender.

A final attacking move for the Blues could see Frenchman Anthony Martial join the Blues strike force, with Loic Remy moving to Monaco as part of the deal. Martial, 19, was reportedly watched by Chelsea's sporting director Michael Emenalo during Monaco's win over Valencia in the Champions League last week, and the Blues look likely to submit a £39 million bid for the Monaco man.

The big question for Chelsea is whether or not they can keep some of their talents, too. John Obi Mikel has been linked with a move to Turkey amid rumours of Pogba's arrival, Victor Moses is in talks with West Ham over a £6m move, and Ramires has been linked with a move to Juventus as part of the record-breaking deal for Pogba. 

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

John Terry
Transfer News

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again