Real Madrid president Florentino Perez claims a lack of experience from Manchester United executives was the reason for David de Gea's failed transfer to his club.
De Gea was set to join the Bernabeu outfit in a ?29million fee from United on Monday but the deal collapsed after the documents sent by the Red Devils arrived with Real shortly after the transfer deadline in Spain.
As part of De Gea's move to Spain, Real goalkeeper Keylor Navas was set to move the opposite way.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay5
"We sent the contracts to United at 13:30 on Monday and they took eight hours to send them back," Perez said in an interview with Spanish radio station Cadena Ser. "They must have had a lot of work.
"From then on we had little time.
"I sensed that afternoon that we wouldn't make it in time because I knew the lack of experience by United in these issues.
"We had the same situation with (Fabio) Coentrao just as Athletic (Bilbao) had with Ander Herrera.
"We didn't get the contracts until 00:02, past the deadline.
"We and FIFA have proof of this.
"It's a shame and I don't understand why they needed so much time for the contracts, I don't understand a series of issues."
Among the issues that puzzled Perez was United's decision to only begin negotiations on transfer deadline day and not before.
"They didn't want to negotiate until Monday," he said. "We felt we owed the player the duty to try to sign him even though we knew it would be very difficult.
"That is why we tried in the final day of the transfer market because we knew that De Gea had made an effort and we could not let him down.
"I don't want to blame anyone but we don't really understand whether they needed eight hours to review the contracts or if it was just that they wanted to wait until the last minute to negotiate."
Perez did not reveal whether his club will try to acquire De Gea once his contract at United expires next summer but indicated Real may have missed their only chance to get the 24-year-old.
De Gea had been a target of Los Blancos since last year and was set to replace Iker Casillas as Real's number one following the departure of the veteran captain to FC Porto in July.
Media reports claim De Gea will sign a contract extension to remain at Old Trafford beyond next summer in the hope of reclaiming the number one spot at United and have a chance to play for Spain at Euro 2016.
"I don't know what will happen to the player," Perez said.. " After what happened I have not spoken to De Gea but (Real Madrid general director) Jose Angel Sanchez did.
"I was told that he (De Gea) was very affected because he had high hopes of joining Real Madrid.
"De Gea will be Iker's successor, I don't know if at Real Madrid but I'm certain he will be in the national team."