Jonas Gray made a name for himself in 2014 with a four-touchdown game against the Indianapolis Colts, and considering the Patriots' rocking RB situation heading into 2015, many thought his place on the 53 man roster was secure.
But the reigning Super Bowl champions surprised a lot of people when they opted to cut him over the weekend.
And now, speaking for the first time as part of the Miami Dolphins who signed him to the practice squad today, Gray has admitted his shock at the decision - revealing just how confident he was of sticking around in Foxboro.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay5
Gray, via Miami Herald writer Armando Salugero, told reports in Miami's locker room that he was "shocked" before explaining how he saw the 2015 season kicking off:
"I thought I earned not only a roster spot but the starting spot," Gray said.
Misjudging the situation
With LeGarrette Blount suspended for the Patriots' opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers and a running back depth chart full of young or inexperienced talent, Gray had been touted to get the nod on Thursday.
And, while his confidence now looks to have been misguided, it appears it wasn't only the media who had that opinion. Unfortunately for the 25-year-old, Bill Belichick and his Patriots staff did not share in it.
Having landed on the Dolphins' practice squad it remains to be seen whether Gray will get a chance in the near future to get his name on an active roster, never mind that starting role he was so sure he had just a few days ago.
Patriots fans: Was releasing Jonas Gray a mistake? Have your say in the comments below...