A British man who walked across the track during Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix has been charged with committing a rash act.
The Straits Times reported that the 27-year-old, named as Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia, appeared in court on Tuesday and was offered bail of 15,000 Singapore dollars (?6,800).
I can't afford freedom
The paper reported that the Briton told the judge he could not afford the bail as he is not working. He will next appear in court on October 6.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
The offence could carry a maximum prison term of six months, local media reported.
A spokeswoman from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We can confirm the arrest of a British National in Singapore on 20th September and we stand ready to provide consular assistance."
Article continues below
Playing with fire
The spectator jumped over the barrier on the approach to turn 13 before darting in front of Sebastian Vettel as the Ferrari driver reached 180mph on lap 36.
He then casually wandered on the opposing side of the circuit unopposed for 53 seconds before finding a gap in the fence and leaving the track.
A statement released on Sunday by the FIA read: ''The Singapore Police Force have confirmed that a 27-year-old man has been arrested and is assisting police with investigations.
''This follows an incident in which an unidentified man gained unauthorised entry to the Marina Bay Street Circuit during tonight's race. The man went on to the track near turn 13, triggering the deployment of the safety car. We are awaiting a full report from the clerk of the course in order to determine the circumstances surrounding this incident.''
The bizarre scene was reminiscent of one involving Irishman Neil Horan, who, wearing a kilt, ran along Silverstone's Hangar Straight in 2003, dodging cars travelling at 200mph. He was tackled by a marshal before being bundled off the circuit. Here, there was no sign of any security.
''It looked as though he had come straight out of a nightclub,'' said Red Bull team principal Christian Horner of the man, dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, with his hands in his pockets.
''It shouldn't be possible to get onto the track. I am sure the FIA will be having a good look to see how the crowd can be prevented from ending up on the circuit. It is not only dangerous for him but very much so for the drivers.''
Earlier this season a man invaded the track during practice in China before entering the pits. He said he wanted to drive one of the cars.
BECOME A WRITER
Have your say?
Is F1 a threat to spectators?
Do you have what it takes? Sign up today and send over your 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay3