You’d be going some way back to recall a Manchester derby quite as dull as the “spectacle” at Old Trafford on Sunday. Amazingly, the first shot on target didn’t come until the 82nd minute – and Jesus Navas’s effort will hardly linger in the memory.
At least it sparked a half-entertaining end to the match. Jesse Lingard and Chris Smalling almost netted memorable winners for the hosts, but bad luck and a fine Joe Hart save saw the match end goalless.
Lingard did something interesting… just 84 minutes too late for anyone to care (Jon Super/AP)
A point each saw Man City reclaim the top of the table from Arsenal, but with just two points between the Manchester sides it should have been much more fiery than this.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Here’s the main gripes everybody had with the impeccably tedious derby.
1. It was a waste of people’s time
2. It was a waste of people’s pets’ time
3. Seriously, people actually woke up for this!
…although the game started just after 2pm, and the clocks had gone back the night before.
4. The money-to-goal ratio seemed totally screwed up
5. Why weren’t United using Martial more?!
It was almost like LVG doesn’t want Martial to set the pitch alight (Martin Rickett/PA)
6. Most people were asleep by the time the action started
7. Arsenal fans took the chance to mock their League rivals
8. It wasn’t like anyone was even angry
It’s meant to be a derby! Blood is meant to boil!
9. It soon became clear Bournemouth v Tottenham was much more interesting
10. People began doubting the entire English league
11. United had a real chance to go top – and they squandered it…
Although at least Usain Bolt saw the silver lining.
Why did the Manchester derby lack so much entertainment? Were both sides too scared to lose? Give YOUR opinion in the comment box below!
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms