The AWD Arena was evacuated after a late terror threat.

German minister Thomas de Maiziere insists Dutch match could not go ahead

Published Add your comment

Article continues below

Article continues below

Germany's federal minister of the interior was adamant the right decision had been made after the i nternational friendly against Holland was called off at late notice after a warning that it would be targeted by terrorists.

The match in Hanover was due to begin at 7.45pm GMT on Tuesday but a security alert saw police step in at around 6pm to prevent it taking place.

Germany were caught up in the attacks on Paris on Friday, with explosions heard outside the Stade de France during their friendly against France as suicide bombers detonated devices.

Attacks in the French capital, claimed by Islamic State jihadists, have so far claimed at least 129 lives.

Germany's federal minister of the interior, Thomas de Maiziere, did not detail the threat in Hanover, asking only to be trusted that the decision to call off the game was a necessary one.

He said in a televised press conference: "We were all looking forward to the game, which was a special gesture of football and this makes it all the more bitter to have to take this decision, which was particularly hard to take, but in the slightest doubt, our priority was to protect people.

"I can understand all the questions relating to what was the background? What could have happened? Why we had to call the game off? What made the decision so clear? I can understand these questions, but please understand that I would not like to give an answer.

"Why? Because some of the answers would unsettle people, and it could make things difficult for us in future in making such decisions, be it in Hanover or elsewhere.

"I would just like to ask the German public to trust us, the Interior Ministry, that we had good reasons to make this decision, but it does not help for us to provide any further details."

More than 40,000 supporters were expected at the match, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Acting DFB president Reinhard Rauball said: "It's a sad day for Germany and a sad day for German football.

"It's a shame for many football fans who were looking forward to a great game, a game which was to be played under different conditions to usual football games - in the spirit of respect, and as a sign against violence and terrorism.

"For our team, within just four days, to have to go through such a tragic situation twice is not something I could have imagined. "

Earlier on Tuesday, arrests were made in Aachen in relation to the Paris attacks.

Belgium's friendly against Spain, which was also scheduled to be played on Tuesday, was cancelled on Monday night due to the increased terrorism threat.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:


Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again