Barcelona have requested legal action to be taken against former Real Madrid players Manolo Sanchis and 'Poli' Rincon after they made controversial comments about Brazil superstar Neymar.
The football pundits, who work for La Cadena COPE, both supported Isco's challenge on Neymar, suggesting that the Spaniard was right to kick his rival.
Isco was consequently shown a red card, but he received the backing of Sanchis and Rincon. The Real Madrid ace has since gone on to apologise for his behavior late on during his side's El Clasico humiliation.
BECOME A WRITER
Do you have what it takes? Sign up today and send over your 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay3
Article continues below
Rafa Benitez's side, of course, slumped to a 4-0 defeat against the Catalans on home soil earlier this month.
And now, in the aftermath of the fixture, Barcelona have filed a complaint against Sanchis and Rincon, suggesting the pair were encouraging violence against Neymar.
Article continues below
You can read the full Barcelona statement here:
"The Legal Services of FC Barcelona have filed a request this morning with the Anti-violence Commission, an organization affiliated with the Sports Council, the Consejo Superior de Deportes (CSD), to open proceedings against former football players and current football commentators, ‘Manolo’ Sanchís and ‘Poli’ Rincón, for having publicly and repeatedly justified the act of aggression that the Real Madrid player Isco committed against the FC Barcelona player Neymar in the last match played between the two teams, on Saturday, 21 November at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium, an aggression which resulted in a straight red card for the Real Madrid player.
"On the day of the game, speaking into the microphones of the Spanish radio network, La Cadena COPE, both Sanchís and Rincón justified Isco’s aggression on Neymar and, this past Sunday, they repeated said justifications, although Paco González, the host of the COPE program, called Tiempo de Juego, gave them several opportunities to rectify their statements. But rather than make a retraction or apologise, Sanchís doubled down on his words from the day of the match, when he said that "Neymar is going over the line, he isn’t getting [hit] enough." Rincón did the same, assuring that "If I am there, I hit him, there should be no doubt that I hit him; me and anyone else.
"FC Barcelona considers these statements to be an invitation to violence and therefore asks the Anti-violence Commission to act."
Class of Neymar
You can hardly blame Barcelona for taking action following the controversial comments. Ultimately, Isco's challenge was built on frustration and he reacted poorly to his side being on the wrong end of an embarrassing result.
Barcelona are right to protect one of their greatest assets, so it will be interesting to see how this story develops over the coming weeks.
But Neymar has received some positive news today. The forward is now rightly recognised as one of the leading players in world football after being named on the shortlist for the 2015 Ballon d'Or
Should Sanchis and Rincon be punished for their comments? Have your say below!