The internet went into overdrive yesterday after some sites started reporting that Daniel Bryan had finally been cleared to make his return to the WWE after so long out.
Major sports websites like Fox Sports and Sports Illustrated carried the news, claiming that Dave Meltzer had confirmed that Bryan had now been cleared and could be making a shock return at the Royal Rumble.
However, that wasn't entirely true and it looks like those aforementioned major sites got a little bit too excited as Bryan hasn't been cleared to return by the WWE.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Meltzer did indeed say on Wrestling Observer Radio that Bryan was cleared by doctors, but they were at UCLA and had no real affiliation with the WWE.
Bryan obviously can't return to action until WWE gives their approval. Meltzer said that Bryan had "a whole bunch of tests done at UCLA with their concussion specialists, and they deemed him OK."
Bryan has been out of action since suffering a concussion last April whilst on the WWE's European tour.
The former American Dragon has insisted that his doctors have said that he is cleared to return, however WWE Medical Director Dr. Joseph Maroon is hesitant to clear him based on Bryan's history with brain injuries.
Meltzer has previously mentioned that Bryan doesn't specifically need Maroon's backing to be cleared, but it is known that Vince McMahon trusts the doctor's judgement massively
"He may get cleared [by WWE], he doesn't have to go to [WWE medical director] Dr. Maroon to get cleared," Meltzer said. "It's just a question of are they going to clear him or not, I don't have the answer. The impression is still negative, but we'll see. I don't expect him at The Royal Rumble, [but] he could be."
Will Bryan be cleared in time for the Royal Rumble on Sunday? It's possible, but don't bet on him being a surprise entrant.