Article continues below
Swiss prosecutors say they have been given important evidence by a whistle-blower in their investigation into FIFA and its suspended president Sepp Blatter.
The Swiss attorney general's spokesman Andre Marty said the case was making progress and says formal charges could be brought by the end of the year.
Marty told German broadcaster ARD: "A witness, a so-called whistle-blower, gave us interesting information relevant to the case, which brought us markedly forward in the criminal investigation."
Swiss attorney general Michael Lauber opened criminal proceedings against Blatter in September over suspected criminal mismanagement and misuse of FIFA money in two cases - a ?1.3million payment made to UEFA president Michel Platini in 2011, and selling undervalued World Cup TV rights to the disgraced former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner.
Blatter and Platini were both banned for eight years last month by FIFA's ethics committee over the payment.
Meanwhile, the election contest to find Blatter's successor is hotting up with a series of nominations being announced for Gianni Infantino, the UEFA general secretary who is one of five candidates for the vote on February 26.
CONMEBOL, the confederation which represents the 10 South American countries, has formally announced its support for Infantino, a Swiss/Italian lawyer.
The Central American Football Union (UNCAF), which represents seven small central American countries, has also announced its support for Infantino, as have several Caribbean countries.
That support should see Infantino make a determined push against the current favourite Sheikh Salman Bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, the president of Asian football who also has strong backing in Africa.
The other three candidates are Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein of Jordan, French former diplomat Jerome Champagne, and Tokyo Sexwale, a politician and businessman from South Africa.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms