Manchester United are in danger of missing out on Jose Mourinho according to the Sunday Times this morning.
Louis van Gaal is still in charge at Old Trafford despite another damaging defeat against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light yesterday, which left the club's chances of making the top four hanging by a thread.
There has been near-constant speculation that Jose Mourinho is being lined up to replace the Dutchman in the summer, but according to the Sunday Times there's no deal in place and the paper also claims there's a risk he could slip through the club's fingers if they don't strike soon.
As it stands, there is no pre-contract in place with the former Chelsea boss and there is no verbal agreement in place for him to take over at Old Trafford in the summer either. That leaves the Red Devils vulnerable to losing him, with clubs in Italy said to be interested.
Mourinho reportedly turned down an offer to take over at Roma soon after his departure from Chelsea earlier this year, while Inter Milan - the club he guided to the Champions League in 2010 - are said to be interested too.
Manchester United remain adamant that they won't sack Van Gaal during the season despite the fact that the club sit six points off the top four having played a game more, and the Dutchman insists he's aware that Champions League qualification is the bare minimum he has to achieve this term.
“Yes, I said that already," he said when quizzed by the press over the top four. "It shall be difficult. It is a big disappointment. I cannot say in another way because you prepare for this game the whole week and then it’s always the big question if you can cope with the tactics and the aggression of the opposition.”
The former Barcelona coach also confirmed he hasn't spoken to Mourinho, who he shares a friendship with from their time together at the Nou Camp, about the speculation surrounding his job.