Danny Welbeck’s last-minute winner for Arsenal against Leicester City last weekend became the most tweeted about moment of the 2015-16 Premier League campaign.
The striker, who came off the bench to make his first appearance since April, scored with a header to boost the Gunners’ hopes of ending their long wait for the Premier League trophy.
Fifty-one thousand tweets per minute about Welbeck’s goal were posted immediately after Welbeck’s winner - and the Independent have published a list of the top 10 most tweeted about moments from this season’s Premier League campaign which you can view by scrolling down this page.
SUBMIT AN ARTICLE
Apply to become a GMS writer by signing up and submitting a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay5
Article continues below
The top four most tweeted about moments all involve Arsenal - fans at the Emirates Stadium clearly love a bit of Twitter - while other moments to make the top 10 include Anthony Martial’s goal against Liverpool in September and Jamie Vardy’s strike against Manchester United to break Ruud van Nistelrooy’s record for goals scored in consecutive Premier League matches.
With Leicester City, Tottenham, Arsenal and Manchester City all in contention to win the title, however, this list should look very different come May.
Article continues below
10. Anthony Martial debut goal for Man United v Liverpool (12 Sept 2015)
Tweets per minute: 30,700
Anthony Martial makes himself an instant Old Trafford hero by scoring Manchester United’s third goal in a 3-1 win over Liverpool.
9. Robert Huth scores his second of the game as Leicester go 3-0 up v Man City (6 Feb 2016)
Tweets per minute: 31,000
Robert Huth stuns the Etihad Stadium, netting a header to secure his brace against Manchester City.
8. Jamie Vardy breaks the Premier League goalscoring record v Man Utd (28 Nov 2015)
Tweets per minute: 32,700
Jamie Vardy scores for the 11th league game running against Manchester United.
7. Olivier Giroud puts Arsenal 2-0 up v Man City (21 Dec 2015)
Tweets per minute: 33,000
Olivier Giroud scores on the stroke of half-time as Arsenal record a huge 2-1 win over Manchester City.
6. Fernandinho makes it 3-0 to Man City v Chelsea (16 Aug 2015)
Tweets per minute: 34,000
Fernandinho rubs salt into Chelsea’s wounds with a third goal for Manchester City.
5. Christian Benteke scores wonder goal v Man Utd (12 Sept 2015)
Tweets per minute: 35,000
Christian Benteke’s overhead kick against Manchester United was named as September’s Goal of the Month.
4. Gabriel Paulista sent off following an altercation with Diego Costa (19 Sept 2015)
Tweets per minute: 38,000
Gabriel was shown a red card for Arsenal in a fiery match against Chelsea following an altercation with Diego Costa.
3. Mesut Ozil scores to give Arsenal 2-0 lead v Man United (4 Oct 2015)
Tweets per minute: 41,000
Mesut Ozil puts Arsenal 2-0 up against Manchester United in the seventh minute.
2. Alexis Sanchez puts Arsenal 3-0 up v Man United (4 Oct 2015)
Tweets per minute: 47,000
Alexis Sanchez scores a magnificent goal to put Arsenal 3-0 up against United in the 19th minute.
1. Danny Welbeck scores last-gasp goal v Leicester City (14 Feb 2016)
Tweets per minute: 51,000
Danny Welbeck sends Arsenal fans into raptures with his late winner against the Foxes.
What has been your favourite moment of the Premier League season so far? Let us know by leaving a comment below.