The introduction of video technology in football could move a step closer when the International Football Association Board meets in Cardiff on Saturday.
The IFAB, who govern the game's rules, will vote whether to give the green light to live video trials to aid match officials.
They will also discuss sin bins, as well as the possibility of allowing a fourth substitute during extra-time in knock-out matches.
But it is the possible introduction of video which is the biggest issue on the agenda.
The trials will allow referees to call on video assistance to help determine four categories of game-changing moments - goals scored, red cards, penalties and mistaken identity.
The English and Scottish Football Associations have already backed the idea along with new FIFA president Gianni Infantino, although they have all said the use of the technology must not disrupt the flow of the game.
FA chief executive Martin Glenn has previously hinted his organisation could allow the trials to take place in the FA Cup next season.
He told Sky Sports earlier this year: "I'm very happy for things within my direct control - the English FA's direct control - to be part of that. We are big supporters of the use of technology. So, what do we control? We control the FA Cup."
SFA chief executive Stewart Regan added: "It's something I would like to see pushed forward."
Infantino replaced Sepp Blatter as FIFA president last week and he wants to push forward with video assistance to discover what effect it could have on the game.
He told FIFA this week: "In football you have a flow, you have a referee who takes important decisions. So we need to see what type of impact any technological help will have on the flow. We need to start with serious tests sooner rather than later."
Any trials, which are likely to last two years before any formal implementation, are unlikely to be held in the Barclays Premier League but Press Association Sport understands the league would support the introduction if they are successful.